We answer questions below about Paythen, split billing and more. Can’t find what you’re looking for? Ask us via live chat or email – email@example.com.
- 1. What is Paythen?
Paythen is a no-code billing and payment system that works with Stripe (for payment processing) and lets businesses offer payment plans and split payments in under a minute. Create highly flexible plans and let customers pay for your product or service via a payment plan or upfront. Once you create a plan, we generate an easy payment link you can add on your site or share with your customers via email or social. It's beautifully simple, but very powerful with features designed to improve your customer experience, while reducing admin, and giving you powerful insights.
Paythen requires Stripe to work. Once you sign up, we'll ask you to connect your Stripe account.
- 2. Is Paythen available in my country?
Paythen is available almost anywhere Stripe is – currently in 40 countries (please see notes below for 'preview' countries). If you can sign up for a Stripe account, you can use Paythen. Here's the list:
You can accept payments in any currency Stripe supports, which is over 135 currently. There are some exceptions and limitations based on your account's currency. View the full list and more info here.
Are you in a country where Stripe is in preview?
Countries that show "Preview" above might have limited functionality as Stripe is just getting started there.You can read more about each supported country, including Stripe fees and sign up for a Stripe account here. Accounts based in India can currently only accept payments in INR using Paythen.
- 3. Does Paythen work with other payment processors?
No. Paythen is designed to work with Stripe. This is because Stripe is the leader in terms of the features, flexibility, security, ease of use, global availability, and more when it comes to payment processors. We believe it is the best payment processor available for most businesses in the countries it is available. Building Paythen to work with Stripe means we can offer you advanced features that would be impossible with most other payment processors. We have no short-term plans of integrating with other payment processors but will re-evaluate this position as needed.
- 4. What is Zapier? How does it work?
Zapier is a tool that lets you send data between over 3,000 popular tools, in minutes, and with no code. At Paythen we've been using Zapier for many years to automate repetitive tasks, send data from one tool to another, get notifications where we want them, and so much more.
With Paythen's Zapier app, you can send customer data you've collected in Paythen, to any other tool you use, from Google sheets, Gmail, Slack, CRM systems and thousands of others. Here's an intro to Zapier to get started.
If you're new to Zapier, get ready to be blown away! Zapier will make you and your business 10x more productive.
- 5. How can I see Paythen in Zapier?
You'll see Paythen just like other apps when you log into your Zapier account and start setting up a zap. You can also go to this page to get started with Paythen and Zapier. If you have any questions or issues, we're here to help.
- 6. Does Paythen work with WooCommerce?
Yes it does. The Paythen WooCommerce plugin is now available for all Paythen users – although it is still in beta. If you're interested in using the WooCommerce plugin, just create your free Paythen account, switch ON the WooCommerce integration, and install our WordPress plugin. Here's a step by step guide.
The current version of the Paythen WooCommerce plugin will let you offer a Payment Plan option on the checkout page. You will have defined some parameters of the payment plan beforehand. Here's an overview:
- You install our WooCommerce plugin and configure a few options
- On the checkout page, your customers will see a new payment plan option
- They will place the order and be taken to the Paythen plan page to complete payment. Your WooCommerce order status will be "On-hold" while they complete payment.
- Once they have successfully signed up to the payment plan, they'll be brought back to the WooCommerce order confirmation page and the order status will change to "Processing".
- Customers will get an email from Paythen with their payment plan details and dates, in addition to any emails you have configured in WooCommerce
- You can see their payment plan and information in the Paythen dashboard
- Your customers will be automatically charged for each future payment
Start your Paythen trial to get started.
- 7. Does Paythen work with Shopify?
Not yet. We do not currently have a Shopify app. We are working on this. If you are interested in using Paythen with Shopify, let us know via the chat icon below. If you're interested in early beta access though, become an early adopter here and we'll reach out to you when we're ready.
- 8. Is Paythen a buy now, pay later service? How is it different?
No. Paythen is not a buy now pay later credit service like AfterPay. We use AfterPay as an example below, but the points below apply to most buy now, pay later services like Klarna, Affirm and many others.
Once you create a plan in Paythen, your customers get to choose to pay the full amount immediately or via a payment plan that you've defined. Both options require your customers to use their credit or debit card to pay. This means 100% of your customers can choose a payment plan option instead of only those that get approved for credit.
- AfterPay is a credit service. With Paythen, your customers can get get a payment plan, but they can use their existing credit or debit card to do so.
- AfterPay is like a mini-loan, with Paythen, there is no credit provided – this is not only more responsible, but also more flexible and better. Your customers get to choose how they want to pay, and which payment method they want to use, while you pay lower fees and deliver a better customer experience.
- AfterPay has a fixed 8 week repayment period. This is rigid, and can still be very high for high value items. With Paythen, you can set the payment plan interval to whatever you want – weekly, monthly, fortnightly, or any other custom interval – and you also choose how long it goes for.
- AfterPay takes away your direct relationship with your customer – and build their brand, instead of yours. With Paythen, there is little to no Paythen branding involved – we just give you the mechanism to offer split payments, while giving you the reporting and flexibility you need.
- AfterPay takes away a big chunk of your profit margin with each transaction. With Paythen, you get to decide – you pay a low 1.25% per transaction with no monthly or other fees. You do pay the payment processing fee to Stripe, which is the payment processor.
- Paythen is a complete billing and payment system that gives you ease of use, reporting and insights and important features for your customers whereas AfterPay and others are just credit providers.
- Paythen is built on top of Stripe – the world's most popular (and in our opinion, the best) online payment processor. This means from day one, you can accept payments in hundreds of currencies.
- 9. What support do we get?
We offer support via email, live chat and self-service to all our customers. Most support enquiries are answered and resolved within an hour. We also offer scheduled phone support. Message us to tee up a time if you’d like to chat.
- 10. Does Paythen work without Stripe?
No. Paythen works with Stripe to process payments. Once you sign up, we will ask you to connect your existing Stripe account or create a new one.
- 11. Is there a free plan?
No. There is a free 14 day trial though, with no limitations and no credit card needed. During your trial, you pay no Paythen fees either. To continue to offer a quality, secure product, free plans aren’t sustainable.
- 12. Are there any other fees?
With Paythen, there are no fees during your trial, and after that, a low 1.25% fee per transaction you process through Paythen. Keep more of your revenue where it belongs – in your pocket. As with all billing systems, this is separate to Stripe’s fees.
- 13. I use Stripe already. Why should I use Paythen?
Paythen is built on top of Stripe to take advantage of the built in features, and world-leading payment processing Stripe already offers. Paythen builds on top of that to offer powerful features specifically for businesses that offer or are planning to offer payment plans to their customers. Paythen makes the creation, sharing and reporting on payment plans super easy.
- Connect your Stripe account
- Create your plan in seconds
- Share the easy payment link with your customers or add it to your site
- Your customers can choose between upfront payment and payment plan options at the time of purchase - this makes them more likely to complete the transaction
- Get powerful insights and reports
Your customers can also manage their own payment plans, change their payment info, view past receipts, see how much they've paid vs. owing, and even repay early anytime. Start with a free 14 day trial to see if Paythen works for your business. Your customers will love it. We hope you do too.
- 14. Can I offer Eventbrite payment plans with Paythen?
Yes you can. Creating Eventbrite payment plans is possible with Paythen. It requires about 5 minutes of setup, and a Zapier account. Paythen does not have a direct integration with Eventbrite, however you can offer payment plans to event attendees with this workflow:
- Before you start, if you haven't already done so, create your free Paythen trial account
- In Eventbrite, create a free ticket for your event for the payment plan option and let attendees know they'll get an email link to pay for the payment plan option
In the ticket details, we recommend using these settings:
- In the ticket name, include the words "payment plan" or similar
- Set the ticket minimum and maximum quantity to 1 since each payment plan will have a pre-set total amount.
- In the ticket description, let attendees know what will happen next: Eg: Choose this ticket to pay over 8 easy weekly payments. Once you complete this, we'll email you a link for your payment plan. Your ticket is not reserved until you complete this step.
- Now in your Paythen dashboard, create a new payment plan to match the billing interval and total amount you want. Eg: 8 weekly payments of $100 each.
- Once you've published your event, open Zapier and create a new zap with Eventbrite as the trigger app and an email service as the action app – for the email service, you could use Email by Zapier to send a basic email or to send a fancier, nicely formatted email, use an email service like Mailchimp, Campaign Monitor or similar (we use Campaign Monitor transactional emails)
- In the Zapier trigger step, choose your event, then on the next step, add a filter to only continue if the ticket ID or ticket name matches the payment plan ticket you created in step 2 (you can filter based on ID or name) so the Zap will only continue for attendees that purchase this ticket
- If you're using the "Email by Zapier" service to send the email, then add in the required details here including the payment plan link you created in Paythen earlier. If you're using an email service like Mailchimp, Campaign Monitor, SendGrid, Gmail, then create and setup this email in their relevant dashboards first and follow the action app steps in Zapier based on the instructions on screen.
- And you're done! Now, if an attendee purchases this ticket in Eventbrite, they will get an email with the payment plan link. Once they complete the first payment, they will be created as customers in Paythen and can be easily managed there.
This is a workaround but is the only option at the moment as Eventbrite doesn't allow third party payment apps to directly integrate with them. If you have any questions or get stuck anywhere, we're here to help.
- 15. What is Stripe?
Stripe is the world’s leading payment processor — they handle the underlying payment infrastructure to ensure your customers’ payment information is secure. Millions of businesses across the world use Stripe as their payment processor. Paythen works with, and requires, Stripe. When you start your free Paythen trial, you can connect your existing Stripe account or create a new one in seconds. Paythen is a Stripe verified partner.
- 16. Can I offer Google Pay payment plans to my customers?
Yes you can. Paythen makes it easy to offer Google Pay payment plans. Your customers can pay in seconds for your Paythen payment plan using their Google Pay account via a compatible browser or device. They will just need to enter their name and email, then click the GPay button to complete payment. This will open the standard GPay authorisation pop up where applicable and then their payment plan will begin.
For the "Pay your way" payment plan type, customers can choose to pay for the upfront or payment plan option using Google Pay. See live examples of Google Pay Payment Plans and other plan types available in Paythen here.
In addition to Google Pay, your customers can pay via any credit or debit card, Apple Pay or even Alipay where applicable (Alipay works for single payments only). Google Pay is automatically ON on your Paythen account.
- 17. Can I offer Apple Pay payment plans to my customers?
Yes you can. Paythen makes it easy to offer Apple Pay payment plans. Your customers can pay in seconds for your Paythen payment plan using Apple Pay on their Mac, iPhone or iPad. They will just need to enter their name and email, then click the Apple Pay button to complete payment. This will open the standard Apple Pay authorisation pop up where applicable and then their payment plan will begin. How Apple Pay is authenticated differs based on the user's Apple devices.
For the "Pay your way" payment plan type, customers can choose to pay for the upfront or payment plan option using Apple Pay. For all plan types available in Paythen, customers can choose to pay via Apple Pay if they prefer. There is no extra charge from Stripe or Paythen for accepting Apple Pay payments compared to standard credit and debit cards. Offering your customers the choice to pay with Apple Pay and other options typically helps improve conversion rates and increases sales.
In addition to Apple Pay, your customers can pay via any credit or debit card, Google Pay or even Alipay where applicable (Alipay works for single payments only). Apple Pay is automatically ON on your Paythen account. No manual setup is needed.
Paythen is designed to improve your customer payment experience and conversions while giving you powerful and simple features to understand and improve your business. Here are some of the key features, but the best way to see if it works for you is to try it with a free 14 day trial.
Easy payment plans
Offer your customers a buy now, pay later option set by you, to increase conversions and sales.
No-code, no-fuss setup
Once you connect your Stripe account, it takes under a minute to get started using Paythen.
Four payment types
Offer subscriptions, payment plans, once-off payments or an option between payment plans & once-off.
Easy payment links
An easy to share payment link that works on any website and any device - matching your brand.
Flexible discount codes
Offer seasonal discounts & promotions with flexible discount codes that work on all plan types.
Integrate with other apps
Send Paythen data to over 3,000 other apps with our Zapier integration.
Automated reminders & emails
We automatically send handy reminders before payments & follow-ups if a payment fails.
Encourage early repayments
Offer customers on a payment plan an easy way to repay early at any time – increasing your cashflow.
Payment plans or subscriptions
End charges after a set number of payments or continue indefinitely. Choose what works for you
Change payment info easily
Your customers can change their card info anytime they want, with zero time spent by your team.
Your customers want to know what they’ve paid, and how much they owe. Now they can.
Reduce support time spent sending customers copies of their receipts. All receipts available to them 24 x 7.
Get powerful, simple insights
Useful, easy to understand reports at the company, product and customer level.
Easily change the colors and logos shown on customer facing pages and some emails.
Flexible billing intervals & more
Choose any billing interval you can think of, add a setup fee, trial period and lots more for each product.
We get paid when you do
With our simple, low 1.25% fee, we only get paid when you do. No fixed or hidden fees. No fees during your free trial either.
Many payment methods
Let your customers pay with Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Apple Pay, Google Pay, plus region-specific cards like Discover & UnionPay.
We’re getting better every day
With regular updates based on your feedback, Paythen constantly gets better and more useful for you and your customers.